Google Down the Line!: Quote of the Day: Fed on skipping Stockholm


Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Quote of the Day: Fed on skipping Stockholm


2008 has been a tough year for me as I was always playing catch up after being diagnosed with mononucleosis at the beginning of the year. I feel fortunate to be healthy again, but I want to remain at the top of the game for many more years to come and go after the #1 ranking again. In order to do that, I need to get a proper rest and get strong again so that I am 100% fit for the remainder of the year or next year. At this point, I am not sure when I will be ready to play again, but I hope to be back at some point before the end of the year. I apologize to the tennis fans in Sweden as I was looking forward to playing in Stockholm again. The country has produced so many incredible tennis players and the tournament has such a great history. I hope to be able to come back at some point in the future.

- Roger Federer on why he's skipping next week's Stockholm Open

Tough luck Swedes but Fed's bout with mono may have been worse than he originally let on based on this statement. He's thinking long-term here so I say go the "Williams' way" and take the rest of the year off if needed.

Listen, I'd love to see him back as much as anyone but I'd much rather have him around for many years to come. You do the math - Fed already has.

(image via Getty)

4 comments:

  1. I can't quite buy into the mono reasoning, even though I've had it myself, and know how long it takes to get over. But I can't buy it for Roger because he made it to the French and Wimby finals. It could be argued that he was tired for the French, but Wimby? Come on. You'll never convince me he was out of energy. If he is on fire in 2009, then I will buy mono as the cause of 2008. (I don't mean it to sound as if he had a horrible 2008.)

    Rich, we need to get on watching Roger train for 2009. I'll borrow my friend's "visually impaired" stickers so we can get his attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. natch: LOL - I read his comments as he was behind the ball on his usual training, preparations, etc. due to the illness at the start of the year, which probably took a mental toll after he recovered. There's no question by any other standards other than his he had a great 2008 but this was more of a mental challenge I believe.

    He's a control freak clearly (from one to another) and he didn't have control of what happened with the illness and I think it really through him off. He seems to have begun shaking it off starting in NY. We'll see what happens from here, if he makes it to the Masters Series and Masters Cup. I definitely think he'll show up in Shanghai but the others are up in the air for now.

    Besides, why not take a mini-break here? He's more than earned it.

    And yes any ideas of how we gain access are fully appreciated here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure people will throw donuts at me but whatevs...I don't buy into his mono either. It only seems to pop up when he's sucking. And when he reaches a final there's never a "oh, lucky me since i was MONO stricken so badly" - it just reeks of excuse. I don't doubt he was probably a bit sick, but he just seems to pull that card at all the opportunistic places. I look at Ancic and I see someone who's really truly suffered mono.

    Then again I'm only about six years shy of my medical degree. So who knows?

    He should take the rest of the year off if he's so sick. I mean there is another slam looming in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought I was rough on these ballers! I don't think he's sick anymore but he surely wants a break IMO.

    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt - he's never been one to fake anything on or off the court. He's a great sportsman.

    Does he live in denial sometimes in order to keep pressure off? Sure - but every athlete does that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...