Google Down the Line!: THE LOW DOWN: Federer is solid No. 3 in Rafa's mind


Thursday, April 3, 2008

THE LOW DOWN: Federer is solid No. 3 in Rafa's mind


With all of Roger Federer's recent struggles (not decline, I don't think), even Rafael Nadal thinks someone else is the No. 1 player right now: Novak Djokovic. In an interview after his 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 win over James Blake, his second in a row over his American nemesis, the Spaniard said,

I think Djokovic is the No. 1 right now [...] He's a very good player. I am No. 2, so my position doesn't change. And Federer, he's not far away from the top. Roddick is still there, too, so for me not much changes.
So I guess that makes Fed a solid No. 3 in his mind? Sorry Rafa, but I would put you there before Fed. But I agree, Nole has been playing like the world's top-ranked baller for sure.

(image via AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

6 comments:

  1. I think what Rafa means is the points for *this season*, he's not just making up rankings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rafa was refering to the atp race, where Federer is below the number 3 spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously Rafa is talking about the atp race. Have you ever heard him diss Roger in any way? If you don't know what the atp race is, here's a handy link: http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/championsrace/default.asp

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe Rafa was referring to the 2008 atp race, not the overall rankings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There isn't much weight in the current rankings this early in the year anyway. Let's get thru the clay court season and at least one more Slam before making such announcements.

    That being said, I think Nole has been consistently the best player over the last 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been all around the internets, where I've noticed someone named "anonymous" who is often ruder than necessary. Do you know this person?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...