Google Down the Line!: THE LOW DOWN: Qatar Open goes Tier 1 but draws controversy


Monday, February 18, 2008

THE LOW DOWN: Qatar Open goes Tier 1 but draws controversy


The Qatar Open has brought out some of the biggest stars on the WTA Tour, most likely due to the fact that the tourney was promoted to Tier 1 status this season, increasing the purse and the amount of ranking points a baller could earn here. The event isn't without controversy, however.


Israel's Shahar Peer is the first person from her country to compete at an event in one of the Persian Gulf states. The 20-year old was asked about playing in the region and said,

"If I can help for the political things to go better and have peace in the world, of course I'll be happy to do it, [...] But I am not going there for political reasons. It's a big tournament, I've never been in this country, and I'm really excited to go and I'm happy to compete."
But is she concerned about her safety while participating in the tourney? "I have no concerns," said Shahar.

(images via KARIM JAAFAR/AFP/Getty Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...