Google Down the Line!: VENUS WILLIAMS: A champion faces up to her challenges


Wednesday, August 15, 2007

VENUS WILLIAMS: A champion faces up to her challenges

After her disappointing loss at the Acura Classic to Russian Anna Chakvetadze, 6-time Grand Slam champ Venus "V" Williams has decided to lay low until the US Open starts. But V is the subject of a current Newsweek article which discusses her past achievements and current marks on the sport, including her much-publicized fight to get equal pay for the women of the WTA Tour. Here's what she had to say...


On her first Wimbledon experience:
"The first time I played at Wimbledon, I was so young and so sure I was going to win that I bought a ball dress to wear to the championship parties."

On her efforts to get equal pay for women at Wimbledon:
"I asked [the committee] to imagine their daughter out there," [...] "playing equally hard as men and not getting the same reward."

On why her parents believe change has been absent for African-American players on the tennis tours:
"Both of my parents are from the South, and that shapes the way they think about and see things'' [...] "I know what they and my ancestors experienced, so I get it. But it has been slightly different for my sister and I. We've had opportunities and breaks our parents never had."

On dating and marriage:
"I don't worry about it too much" [...] "As Beyoncé says, 'I could have another you in a minute'." [...] "I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about marriage and kids. I'm not a normal girl like that."

On the murder of her half-sister, Yetunde, in 2003:
"That took a lot out of all of us" [...] "I think the worst part was getting back to feeling safe after she died. For a long time after that I would call all my sisters daily to make sure they were OK."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...