Google Down the Line!: Women's 2nd Marquee Matchup: Wimbledon Women's Quarterfinals


Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Women's 2nd Marquee Matchup: Wimbledon Women's Quarterfinals

Let's do this - THE matchup on the women's side that we've all been anticipating. Justine Henin wrapped up her 4th round match against Swiss Patty Schnyder in her trademark no-nonsense style: a 56 minute 6-2, 6-2 beatdown. Serena "ReRe" Williams displayed her trademark dramatic style, fighting through an apparent injury to her calf and gutting out a 6-2 6-7 (2-7) 6-2 win over slender Slovak Dani Hantuchova.

Here's what Justine said about the upcoming match with ReRe:

"Well, we are different styles, that's for sure, which is interesting and very exciting for the fans, too, to see the differences between us. I'm not going to talk about my tactics against Serena even if everyone can see it on the court. I don't look really what happens from the outside of the net. I just try to stay focused on me."

ReRe took a similar approach when asked about the match against Justine:

"You know, I think getting through today is great. That's the only thing I'm focused on right now, just to fix what I have going on and go from there . So I'm excited about getting that done."

Their last match was at this year's French Open, with Justine winning in dominating fashion 6-4, 6-3. Afterwards, ReRe was quoted as saying, "All [Justine] had to do was show up."

Will ReRe show up injured? How will Justine handle this situation?? Let me know what you think.

(images courtesy of AP Photos)

4 comments:

  1. I hope Serena doesnt use the injury as an excuse in this match. On the other hand, being injured, she will be more likely to come out swinging and try to get Justine off balance early in the match. Ultimately, i give to Justine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Henin will win, and Serena will afterwards have some excuse as usual. Justine is very strong, and Serena has to realize that she is not No. 1 any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think Justine needs to be careful. If she's injured, Serena will know her best chance is to do what she did against Dani yesterday: swing for the fences and go for broke. I think Serena's at her most dangerous when she's in this state of mind. Justine's feet and reflexes will need to be at their best. Richard Williams was on ESPN this morning saying Serena has a tear. We will see. I also give the edge to Justine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...