Google Down the Line!: PREVIEW: Wimbledon Women's Final


Friday, July 6, 2007

PREVIEW: Wimbledon Women's Final


Venus "V" Williams vs. Marion Bartoli
Head-to-head: 1st meeting

Expect the unexpected - the theme for the women's road to the final. No. 23 seed V takes on No. 18 seed Marion for the women's title. V took out the French Open finalist and No. 6 seed Ana Ivanovic in a straight-forward 6-2, 6-4 match. Bartoli, on the other hand, caused one of the biggest upsets in Wimby history ousting world No. 1 Justine Henin 1-6, 7-5, 6-1. This is V's sixth trip to the final while Bartoli is making her debut. This match is their first meeting.

Here's
V on reaching her sixth Wimby final:

"I've had so many great times here. It's really an amazing stat. I guess I'm feeling proud of myself for that stat, but I don't want to take anything for granted going into the final."

Marion had this to say about playing V in the final:

"Well, I never play against Venus. I play against her sister, Serena. I guess, you know, to beat the No. 1 in the world will give me a lot of confidence. And to play on this court, Centre Court, win that match, I will be really up for tomorrow. I have nothing to lose tomorrow. Venus has been the champion here already. You know, I will try to figure out the way to play against her."

Outlook: Venus should be a lock to win her 4th Wimby championship but Marion can't be overlooked. After beating Justine, she will come in with confidence. But how will she handle her first Grand Slam final? Tracy Austin for MSNBC.com still gives the title to Venus.

Tell me who you think will win the women's final!

(images courtesy of AP Photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...