Google Down the Line!: Knee injury knocks Li Na out of the U.S. Open


Thursday, July 31, 2014

Knee injury knocks Li Na out of the U.S. Open

Today Li Na announced her withdrawal from Montreal, Cincinnati, and the U.S. Open on her Facebook page because of a lingering knee injury:
I wanted to let all of my great fans know that unfortunately I am going to have to withdraw from the upcoming WTA events in Montreal and Cincinnati, as well as the US Open. Since March, I have been struggling with my knee and it is just not where I need it to be in order to play at the highest level. My medical team has advised me that I need to take some time off to rest my knee so it heels. I look forward to getting back on the court this fall in Wuhan and Beijing. - LI NA
What started off as such a promising season with a win at the Australian Open, her second major title, slowly began to unravel during the spring. She reached two quarterfinals at Madrid and Rome and then was upset in the first round of the French Open by homegirl Kristina Mladenovic. The slide continued at Wimbledon where she fell to Barbora Zahlavova Strycova in the third round. It was announced soon after her exit from the All England Club that her coaching partnership with coach Carlos Rodriguez was ending. The news reportedly surprised and upset Li.

Her results after Oz were perplexing not only to me, but also anyone who watches the sport. I kept wondering how someone who just won her second Grand Slam could be lacking in that much confidence? If she's been feeling the knee since March, it would explain why after Indian Wells and Miami, where she reached the semifinals and finals, respectively, Li's form took a nosedive in the spring and the start of summer. The break will be good for her physically and mentally.

As a result of her withdrawal from the three tourneys, Simona Halep will rise one spot to a career-high number two in the rankings next week according to the WTA.

[Photo(s) credit: Getty Images]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...