Google Down the Line!: PHOTO OP: A helping hand


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

PHOTO OP: A helping hand

"Uh, that's not my hip, sir."
Remember last week when I said, "I can't wait to see what [Juan Martin del Potro] does at Roland Garros. Could be kinda awesome (no jinx, really)" in this post? Now, I'm pretty sure my words don't have magical powers (that I know of) but look what happened.

Delpo defeated Mikhail Youzhny 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 in the first round of Madrid today but aggravated a hip injury he suffered during his run to the title in Estoril:
It’s a pain that I've had since Estoril and maybe it could be because it has been a long time since I played on clay. I always want to win and I think of winning no matter the amount of pain and it's a type of pain that allows me to play. It’s a Masters 1000 where there are lot of people looking at me to do the best I can and that’s why I continued on the court, because I knew I could win the match.
He also said he doesn't want to take a chance of missing out on Roland Garros by playing with the injury:
I will be careful for my future - I am playing really well last week and this, but my first goal is to play healthy. I want to be safe this week so I don't want to risk my presentation in French Open.
I agree. If it's bothering you, Delpo, pack it up. You're playing some top level ball right now and getting better each match. Even Nole said you'll be Top 5 by end of year. So don't be a hero. Save that for RG you big lug.

[Photo(s): AFP PHOTO / DANI POZO]
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...