Google Down the Line!: FASHION FIX: Federer lets the polo go in Miami - sign o' the times?


Sunday, March 27, 2011

FASHION FIX: Federer lets the polo go in Miami - sign o' the times?


Is it just me or did it jolt anyone else to see Roger Federer playing his opening round match at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami sans polo? Okay, 'jolt' is a strong word so how about 'supremely surprised'? He showed up working the Federer Trophy Men's Tennis Shirt ($70) in tech grey, gridiron, peach cream and white and proceeded to dismiss Radek Stepanek 6-3, 6-3 tying Pete Sampras with 762 career match wins. 

The last time I can recall seeing the Swiss stylist wearing something other than his fave polo look in a match was back in 2009 at Indian Wells where he reached the semifinals. This outfit definitely gives him a fresh feel but at the same time it's reminiscent of all the techno trends dominating both tours at the moment.

Now I wouldn't have thought too much about it, but earlier in the week I noticed another polo-loving baller, Ryan Harrison, stripped of his button front and collars and dressed in the Nike Men's Spring Challenger Gradated UV Crew ($50) in vibrant blue:


I, of course, had to let my thoughts known to those who may have been responsible i.e. Nike Tennis.

So is this a new trend for the sports apparel brand and/or on the tour or just a quick change up for these two ballers in Miami? Not sure. Listen, I'm all for switching things up but it's also nice to have throwback styles showcased on ballers like Fed, Ryan and even Milos Raonic + Richard Gasquet in Lacoste mixed in with these modern looks with their bright, sometimes acidic colorways. The balance, to me, is what's most important.

I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

[Photo(s): Federer via Al Bello/Getty Images; Harrison via Matthew Stockman/Getty Images]
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. I do not care for this at all! It seems wrong. Roger sans collar is more spooky than my great aunt Edna sans martini glass in hand lol.


    Off topic, but did you hear Gisela Dulko is getting married? I feel so behind the times, I didn't even know she was seeing someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Sara, it's so weird seeing him dress in these duds. That shirt is so wrong for him on many levels - it's almost age inappropriate lol.

    Yeah I read about it. Here's more info:

    http://giseladulko.net/gisela-dulko-engaged-to-fernando-gago-will-marry-in-july/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...