Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) HE SAID/SHE SAID: US Open Day Ten


Thursday, September 9, 2010

(UPDATED) HE SAID/SHE SAID: US Open Day Ten

Q. How important is it if you have to play Caroline not to get frustrated, because it seems like she makes everyone play patiently?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you have to be patient against her. She's a tough player because she reads the game well. So you have to be patient but still go for your shots. But, you know, you cannot get frustrated if you are playing against anyone. If you get frustrated, well, you will probably lose the match. Doesn't matter if it's Caroline or someone else on the other side of the net. I think you can -- you know, you should get sometimes angry with yourself. Sometimes you should pump yourself. But you have to always be out there and trying not to get frustrated against anybody.

Q. Will experience matter for you, or do you think that Caroline has enough experience now where you being on the tour longer and being in bigger matches is all that matters to you?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I think Caroline's got enough experience right now. She's very mature for her age, and I think a lot of people are underestimating her. But she's going out there and she's doing her job very, very well. I can say she's very experienced, so it's, you know -- if I have to play Caroline, it's just going to be a tough match, but we both have been in those situations.

Q. What do you feel like when you look up and see your father with your picture on his T shirt?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Ah, I don't know. (Smiling.) He's a proud father. What can I say? I'm just happy to see them supporting me. I don't know where he got this fancy shirt. To be honest, it was somewhere in Belgrade. I cannot say it. He's my father. If he wants to wear this shirt, he can wear this shirt.

Q. Do you want one of those shirts, Novak?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I would never wear the shirt. (Laughter.) Me, personally, never. My father, I understand. Okay. He's proud. But me? Never.

Q. Will you get a matching one of him and he would have you...

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I would have him; why not? Not myself. I don't like myself that much. (Laughter.)

Q. What are your plans from here? What do you yourself term as a successful tournament? What are your plans from here on out?

KAIA KANEPI: I go home I think for a week, and then I go to Tokyo to prepare. I play Tokyo, Beijing, Moscow, and if I get to Bali, then also Bali.

Q. What are you gonna take away from your successful tournament here? What do you think was the best part that you learned about yourself making it this far?

KAIA KANEPI: The fighting spirit.

Q. Nadal versus Verdasco, he's 10 0. He's got the winner of Stan and Youzhny if he gets past Verdasco. Can you get the percentage chances of him not reaching the final?

ROGER FEDERER: Want an exact number or...

Q. If you want, but more or less.

ROGER FEDERER: I think he's the favorite. Huge surprise. (Laughter.) I mean, he's No. 1 seed, you know, so he's always gonna be the favorite on that side of the draw. But obviously he's also playing against guys who never won a Slam, never been in finals before, and so that's obviously gonna he's gonna fancy his chances. Plus he hasn't had the roughest of all trips into the quarters.

Then again, with a Saturday Sunday final, it doesn't matter until Saturday how you got there. If you're gonna play an epic maybe on Saturday, that's gonna really influence your chances on final day. That's what's rough about this format here at the Open. Nothing is safe until you're through, until you're in the final. Seems like he's playing real well. 

Yeah, it's hard to say who's gonna beat him out of that section. But then again, they didn't get there without playing well, either, those guys. I'm particularly happy for Stan, that he's had such a great run so far. I'd like to see him go further. The other guys will have their shot, but it's gonna be tough.

UPDATE: In case you haven't seen the aforementioned t-shirt on Srdjan Djokovic, here it is. You've been warned. (via Busted Racquet)






[Photo(s): Getty Images]
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Typical Fed. Typically, subtly underhanded. As if he himself had "the roughest of all trips into the quarters."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...