Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) FASHION FIX: Shrieka falls on dirt, debuts new Nike Maria Sharapova Collection duds


Sunday, May 9, 2010

(UPDATED) FASHION FIX: Shrieka falls on dirt, debuts new Nike Maria Sharapova Collection duds


Maria Sharapova played her first match in almost two months falling 6-4, 6-3 to Lucie Safarova in the first round of Madrid. After going down 0-4 in the opening set the former top lady baller fought back to 4-all but her Czech foe clinched the next 8 out of 10 games for the win.

Shrieka will have another chance to find her clay-court feet before Roland Garros when she travels to Strasbourg next week for the Internationaux de Strasbourg.


The 23-year old also debuted some new stylings from the Nike Maria Sharapova Collection including the Golden Set Tank in fennel with deep burgundy (underneath the fennel 3/4 sleeved cover up - $55) and the Golden Set Skirt in ($60) fennel w/lilac + deep burgundy.

I think the fennel colorway is pretty against the crushed red brick but the skort design with its multi-colored asymmetrical mesh overlay is a bit jarring. I mean you'd think Shrieka would've given up on the overlay concept after failed with this dud, but give her credit for being persistent. I'm all for the use of color but the execution here is a bit off for my tastes.

So my overall reaction to this outfit? MEH.

UPDATE:
So an anonymous commenter tipped me off to discussions in some forums about a possible racquet sponsor switch that may be in the works for the Russian. Notice the missing branding and stencil in the photo? If you have any info, 'fess up. Pretty please.

[Photo(s): TennisWarehouse.com, Getty Images]

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

  1. She also has a new racket. Many people over at tennisforum and tt tennis-warehouse think it could be Head. Just like Tommy Haas switched to Haas for the sake of his shoulder.

    Do you happen to have more info on that?

    Ps. The outfit isn't Meh. It's FUG! FUG! FUGLY times two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Tommy Haas switched to Head

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL well I reserve 'FUG' for monstrosities like the Oz mess but I hear you.

    Must investigate the racquet thingy. Shriek's has always been very loyal to her sponsors but her injury issues may have forced such a switch. If I find out more I'll be sure to post about it. Thanks for the heads up anon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Skieka, what the heck has happened to you. I never knew that injuries affected fashion sensibilities!

    -Tin

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, just me maybe, but I love the skirt!

    Re: racquet change, I did notice no stencil and the distinct lack of prince-ness about this racquet. However, Maria signed a life deal with prince... so how does she get out of her contract? I would've thought that Prince would work with her to produce a suitable stick, rather than risk losing one of their key endorsement figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any racquet switch for pro, esp. of Maria's stature, involves cash. Having said that I've hit with the Exo 100 and found it a very friendly forgiving frame. So unless she's switching over to the Extreme Youtek that Vika hits with, I'll be curious to see what Maria switches too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...