Google Down the Line!: THE LOW DOWN: Nole takes the heat, Tommy + A-Rod question Serb's injury struggles


Wednesday, September 3, 2008

THE LOW DOWN: Nole takes the heat, Tommy + A-Rod question Serb's injury struggles


Tommy Robredo and Andy Roddick had some choice, but differing, words for Novak Djokovic and the supposed injury woes and ailments he's been suffering at this year's US Open.

After his defeat to the struggling Serb, Tommy was describing a big point in his post-match presser and said, "Also Novak was doing the show, that he was ‑‑ that he couldn't run." The Spaniard was then asked about the Serb's injuries and calls to the trainer:

Q. You sound like you don't believe Djokovic's ailments . Is that true?

TOMMY ROBREDO: That's not that I don't believe. I have pain, as well. I was running like hell and my feet were burning but I say nothing, no? I think that if you're not fit enough, then don't play. But after every time he was asking for a trainer, he was running like hell and he was making the shot, but he does what he does a lot of times. So I think we should take care a lot more of these things, because one thing is that if you fell down like I did, I can have blood and it's normal that trainer gets in because there's blood or whatever. But for having pain, I had pain, as well, all over my body because I think I run a lot more than him, and I said nothing, no?

So did I trust him? No. No. I think he took his time because he did it because he was a little bit more tired and that's a part of the game. It help him a lot.


Ouch! However, Nole's quarterfinal opponent, A-Rod, had a slightly different spin on the same issue:

Q. When asked about [Nole's] injuries today, mentioning the right ankle as opposed to the left ankle, the other day ‑‑

ANDY RODDICK: Isn't it both of them? And a back and a hip?

Q. And when he said there are too many to count.

ANDY RODDICK: And a cramp.

Q. Do you get the sense right now that he is...

ANDY RODDICK: Bird flu.

Q. Lot of things. Beijing hangover.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah.

Q. He's got pretty long list of illness.

ANDY RODDICK: Anthrax. SARS. Common cough and cold.

Q. Got a lot of things going on with him.

ANDY RODDICK: Sure.

Q. Do you think he's bluffing?

ANDY RODDICK: No, I mean, I'm sure ‑‑

Q. The way you're saying it, almost means you feel like...

ANDY RODDICK: No, if it's there, it's there. There's just a lot. You know, he's either quick to call a trainer or he's the most courageous guy of all time. I think it's up for you guys to decide.

Hysterical. C'mon guys, you can't take it so seriously or let it affect your game.

We all know Nole has a history of on-court antics and ailments. But he's not the first baller to stretch the rules, and he certainly won't be the last.

I'd take A-Rod's humorous response over Tommy's cranky call any day.

What's your take on this issue? Do tell!

(image via Getty)

13 comments:

  1. I watched parts of the game and I don't think Nole wass faking - especially when he hurt his hip. That was obviously hurting. Maybe he was "playing" tired - but the hip thing looked really real.

    What is it with people accusing Serbians of being drama queens and kings? Hahaha =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like that they're both being honest about how they feel. It would be so boring if they just said, "I have no problem with Novak calling the trainer."

    Love the drama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy cracks me up. I'm with you Rich, Tommy's comments just sound so much more like a rant.

    Also: Tommy, if your whole body did hurt, too - then why didn't you feel free to call the trainer as well? I'm sure Nole wouldn't have bitched about it...

    BTW, his expression on that pic makes me ache! Poor cutie! Even if he's pretending (and if he is, he should take on acting), I sure buy it! Aw....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A player cranky after losing a hard fought match? How dare he! If your going to have gracious losers then it's normal to have the sore losers as well. Lots of players fake injuries to call the trainer and get some rest, they do the same thing with the replay system. Half the time it's about getting a little rest. It's human to be annoyed if you aren't the type to do that.

    And I think Andy just loves that all these players are little tired from Beijing. It helps him out a lot.

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. OT but do Nole's parents have jobs or do they just live off their son?

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be overjoyed if Nole came out in a full body cast and still beat Roddick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Andy's comments are funny as hell yet very very honest. I don't like Andy most times but a lot of his sentiments match mine. I don't think Nole was faking but he was certainly being whiny about it.

    I understand Tommy being pissy with Nole. After all, he did lose.

    If I'm not mistaken Nole's parents are restaurateurs? Did I spell that right? In any case I don't think they live off Nole - they must be making a substantial amount of money because as much as I would like it otherwise, tennis is not a cheap sport. It must've cost some to train a kid to be one of the top players in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. load of crap from both tommy and andy. novak looked to me like he was really in pain. before people comment about the serb's medical timeouts, remember that both novak, jelena and janko have had surgery to improve their breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would be SWEET barcelona2012!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Djokovics parents own a restaurant in the mountains in Serbia.

    Roddick is a joker too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They asked a lot of people to help them with money for their sons career. It was not easy and it was risky, because they are not rich.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, i think tommy had a right to be cranky. he just lost to djoke afterall, roddick hadn't. and tommy had to deal with nole calling a trainer every five seconds and messing up the rhythm and momentum of the game. i think he had every right to complain, even moreso than he actually did complain. tommy's a fighter, and i wish he had won. if novak is really that bad off, he shouldn't have played the open, period.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let see...Federer after the master in Monaco said that Nole injures are questinable...the thing is that he dont call trainers when he is winning like Haas or other.

    First set lost..called a trainer...second a third won...not a sign of a trainer...fourth set lost...here are the trainers again..
    so he knows how to bend the system.

    I understand where Tommy come from with his comments.

    I know Nole has breathing problems...and myself Im ahsmatic and play USTA tournament..sadly we dont have trainers or trainer time out..and in the heat its dificult to breath than in winter season. In those cases I need to quit games just cause that....and in the case of Nole he can stay taking time, calling trainers million of times and have time to catch breath again.

    Need to see it from the point of view of the player...doesnt have to be anything with bitter lost (robredo) or anything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...