Google Down the Line!: THE LOW DOWN: Will Federer skip the Olympics? "I still have not made up my mind...," says Roger


Monday, March 3, 2008

THE LOW DOWN: Will Federer skip the Olympics? "I still have not made up my mind...," says Roger

In the hot seat: Is the pressure of possibly being the greatest tennis player of all time finally getting to the usually unflappable Roger Federer?

The Swiss Stylist, who has expressed his desire to participate in the Olympics and win the gold medal, sung a different tune this week when he revealed that the decision to travel to Beijing for the Summer Games has not been finalized yet.

Federer, who was defeated by Britain’s Andy Murray in the first round of the Dubai Tennis Championships today (his first opening-round loss since 2004), was disillusioned by his experience at the 2004 Athens Games and told the press in Dubai,

It was quite difficult in Athens. Taking the bus and not being in control of my own schedule, and many people recognising me in the village. It was not as enjoyable as Sydney, which I loved. I still have not made up my mind (whether to play in Beijing).

The 12-time Grand Slam champion is two Slams away from matching Pete Sampras’ record of 14 major titles. However, he lost the Australian Open title to Novak Djokovic (sour grapes?), the French Open - played on Fed’s least favorite clay surface - has been owned by Rafael Nadal for the last three years, and now the opening-round loss to Murray in Dubai.

With the Olympics falling in between Wimbledon and the US Open, is Fed leaving the door open for him to focus on the last two majors of the year?

(image via AP)

1 comment:

  1. I believe that source took Federer's comments out of context a little -- tennis dot com has the same interview from Federer's round table in Dubai, and there Federer is not saying that he won't participate in the Olympics, but that he's not sure whether or not he'll stay in the athlete's village for it.

    http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=120844

    I think he'll go to the Olympics and stay in some incredibly posh off-site penthouse thingy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...